Design Expo 2014: Online Discussion - Building Livelihoods

Yes, certainly, it's about empowerment, economic, social, political and cultural. However measuring empowerment is as yet an imprecise science and means different things to different people.Control of assets, particularly financial assets is critical.

Agreed. Lighting Africa is a great program. In fact, I would love to see a multilateral-sponsored program that funds innovative distribution models of all types of BoP products (solar, health, agriculture, etc). Distribution channels are often "sector agnostic," so what works for one sector can often work for another. Maybe IFC would like to create a "BoP Distribution Africa" program!

Gender plays a critical role for any business model involving BoP. For example, in PRIDE, women are greatly involved in the following

1) Formation of Joint Liability group which helps them to be free from financial clusters. This also decreases loan default level in financial institutions

2) Performing activities such as sorting, grading and packaging which fetches more price for their produce

3) Distribution of agri inputs such as seed, fertilizers & pesticides etc.

Overall, including women part of the business gains confidence and trust factor among different stakeholders.

I feel gender issues have to be treated on a per case/country region basis. Women's needs in different setting are different from mens' needs

Hi Stephanie. I understand that last year One Acre Fund's support increased farmers incomes by around $140. I was wondering if the size of One Acre Fund's impact on incomes varied across genders?

This is a fantastic example Morgane!

For the enjoyment of all discussion participants, here is a photo of a One Acre Fund client signing to confirm the receipt of the seed and fertilizer that she received on credit.

Hi Stephanie, corporate involvement from a demand “pull” perspective has been shown in some cases to create an engaging model. One engagement for which we are familiar is the innovative E-Choupal initiative of ITC Limited in India.

Lovely photo! Thanks for sharing, Stephanie!

• You are right Crispim and according to the World Bank only 16.2% of ministerial-level positions are held by women worldwide, leaving women with little power at policy level. This has a huge impact on the ability of governments to provide services needed by women. For agriculture and rural livelihoods, women need access to productive resources, but their needs are not communicated at the Policy level.

Agreed Crispim, this is a very good point.

There are broad principles such as the UN Women Women's Empowerment Principles http://weprinciples.org/Site/PrincipleOverview/

They can provide a universal framework but each country and regional and even community context is different. Is it time to develop Women's Empowerment in business principles?

Yes, fantastic photo, which demonstrates that in One Acre Fund contracts women have the ability to sign them and be the legal owners of the inputs.

I agree with this. I have talked with many women farmers who take loans from One Acre Fund and report that "peace has entered their homes" once they've increased their incomes from farming, and brought financial security to the family. Contributing to the family income increases their power and respect they are granted by their husbands.

I would venture to echo one of our contributors that we have to be carefull of backlash from empowering women

In fact those principles were developed jointly by UN Global Compact and UN Women so they aim at serving women in business. You are right that they should be used more widely. I will see if my organization would be willing to endorse them.

But to acheive empowerment you also have to confront and challenge values, attitudes and policies that demean and degrade women and block their opportunities towards acheiving empowerment. Being too cautious can block meaningful progress.

Yes, but there are some basic changes that need to happen despite tensions. I would think that giving women farmers titles to their lands would be one of those basic changes. Don't you agree?

FANRPAN is an interesting organization that works to educate men and women on how to advocate for their priorities with policymakers.

Great point Lewis!