Getting Intentional: How can we encourage and support cross-sector partnerships within the post-2015 framework?

Hello Foluke, great you could join!

Friends Africa is a great example how can an innovative NGO mobilize and catalyze collaborations between public and private sectors in Africa to accelerate fight against these diseases. Friends serves as a new kind of "catalyst" and "convener". It was founded as a public-private partnership, it was innovative in the beginning.

Global Development partnered with Friends Africa to convene Africa Health Innovation Meeting during the WEF Africa which took place recently in Nigeria, with key players from governments, NGOs and businesses. I am honored to serve on Friends Africa Advisory Board, it has been a great journey!

Yes, Zahid, perhaps we need new language! When we use "transformational" at GD we mean: scalable, sustaibale business model with positive social and economic impact.

I see for example Deloitte using SSP (strategic social partnerships). Thoughts?

What's wrong with PPPs?

Not sure the buzz words will change the nature of the beast....

Hi, Barbara and folks.

I know I am coming a bit late to this discussion (I just joined the community and I'm still beginning to explore the "protocols" and experimenting the different ways to interact).

To add to the discussion on partnership terminology, one term that recently emerged in my design masters thesis research on the intersection of business innovation and the needs at the BoP was "linkages". It came out in a report by the Women in Informal Employment: Globalizing and Organizing (WIEGO).

The report was essentially a literature review on linkages between formal and informal economies in developing countries and it defined "linkages" as the "mechanisms for mapping, tapping, vesting or contesting the distribution of resources, power and legitimacy between the formal and informal economies".

I know the report is exploring a somewhat different issue, but as a newbie to this field, I think the term "linkage" is an overarching concept that allows for an interesting spectrum of the different sorts of relationships between stakeholders.

What do you think? Please apologize if I missed the target here :)

1. Consolidate impact measurements across sectors to appropriately benchmark and measure outcomes. Move away from costly monitoring and evaluation, and towards quantitative metrics that could be linked to project spend and sustainability without additional funding
  2. Link social impact to commerciality to entice corporate partners.
  3. Better coordinate with public sector and development partners to ensure that projects were not duplicated and that are become consolidate
  4. Increase knowledge transfer and technical assistance so that more development projects result in remunerated work opportunities and access to local, regional and international markets for local firms and community members.
  5. Embed co-design in development projects to capture practical operational realties of emerging and developing countries.
  6. Include localization of management plans in development projects to better ensure sustainability.
  7. Build accountability within corporate supply chains to widen CSR spending and impact.