How can Business and the UN Work Together Towards the Sustainable Development Goals?

Thanks everybody for this fruitful discussion!

Hi, I'm completely new to this sort of thing, but have a vested interest as the Chairman of a medium sized forestry based essential oils company in Malawi, so here goes: I am sure that for the UN to achieve sustainable progress in development means backing existing businesses who are already on the sustainable road but lack the resource to scale up . I think the best people to make the initial assessment as to whether a business is a candidate for support are the existing political organisations such as embassies or high commissions and the data they need to reach a decision could be defined in broad terms, much as a bank would do. Backing start ups is headline making but the harsh reality is that most never achieve sustainability. I would then like to see such identified 'producer' companies be supported by existing successful developed world companies with a desire to support the goals . This support need not be only money based and could involve many skills they have. However, funding is almost inevitably going to be required and taking a targeted approach at least means it has a chance of achieving the Goals we all want to see happen.

Dr Paul Clarke Kawandama Hills Plantation Mzimba , N. Malawi

please find attached link

106-ImhanyaBusinessModel7Feb2016.pdf (5.63 MB)

it is possible to set up engagement mode between the business and development sectors, but, the United Nations must

1. secure the commitment of the member states (governments) to share space and not to compete with the private sector.

2. must provide sustainable business environment, upon which businesses thrives and profits are grown and in turn businesses respond by showing commitments to development through their corporate social responsibility program.

3. the likely hood of the multilateral system engaging directly with businesses(private sector).

4.design and develop an enhanced implementation framework, that gives accounts on the level of implementation and progress made.

Hi all,

Great discussion, which I've just been catching up on!

I agree with some of the earlier comments about businesses needing more tools and resources to help us figure out what implementation of/alignment w/the SDGs looks like.

There have a been a small handful of great publications on biz and the SDGs which have been my go-to's for the last several months, but - being in the middle of a sustainability strategy review, where we're aiming to align with the SDGs - it still feels a little bit like navigating in a sea of darkness.

It is important that the SDGs become an action agenda for business, and not an organizing framework. That means going beyond looking at how companies already support SDG goals through existing initiatives and practices (an important first step, but not enough) to, as others have noted here, re-thinking business strategies, practices, models, etc. Speaking from experience, this is where the process 'SDG alignment' process becomes slower, murkier and more challenging to push forward, and where more support in the way of tools, publications and convening platforms would be extremely helpful as we move forward on this journey together!

Hi everyone!!! I am Paulo Bento and my main research interests are sustainability and development, with focus on poverty reduction. It is great to participate in this online discussion!!!

...and in conclusion...As the Chinese would say - "Talk does not cook rice" It is what is DONE than brings about change...For us at moladi it is what Abraham Maslow refers to as "hierarchy of needs" - "base of the pyramid product" - Fight poverty unemployment and crime producing food and shelter

"The key to a truly lasting, sustainable positive impact starts with houses. Owning their own shelter provides people with a sense of pride and belonging which in turn has positive effects on their sense of self‐esteem and a sense of opportunity, self‐worth, dignity and hope for a better future for themselves and their children."

A big Thank You to Zahid and BusinessFightsPoverty for creating this opportunity to share ideas and become changemakers

105-moladi_summary.pdf (189 KB)

I believe building Cooperative societies business leadership could guarantee for the success of Sustainable Development Goals and contribute for the ambitious UN vision of ending poverty and protecting our planet. Cooperative societies have both economic and social goals, the challenge with the Cooperative societies as a sector in developing countries is members of Cooperative society lack common business vision and synergy. if the UN consider them as business entities work on creating common business vision and synergy among members of the Cooperative society, improve leadership business management skill of Cooperative society, definitely can contribute for the success of UN's Sustainable Development Goals.