How can we strengthen collaboration in support of women and girl empowerment?

YES PLEASE send them our way springaccelerator.org Would LOVE to know more...

Yea, i will check out with Mercy Corps and other initiatives to seek for partnerships and development for our programs here in Nigeria. Thank you.

We definitely should be talking about this ! This is so relevant to SPRING!

Hi Payal, that was me. I guess my question really was to underline that economic opportunities and empowerment really means complete different things for women, and are defined by where they live, their culture, their society, and their poverty/wealth level. I'd love to have your view on the below if you have time.

Loads of discussions I hear seem to forget those women whose daily burden is to provide for the family (fetching water, wood, cooking, looking after the sick) and don't have the time to be "empowered" as we understand it (generating money, going to school) or even think about it because they are TIME poor. And therefore, redefining what empowerment means to women is important and sometimes it starts by unlocking time for them and by giving them the tools to start saving money by accessing better household technologies, for example....then and only then they have accessed this basic first step of the economic empowerment ladder, with more time in their hand and more money on their pocket, they will be able to be empowered as most of us understand it, and climb the second step of economic empowerment ladder.

OECD report highlight this very point: http://www.oecd.org/development/povertyreduction/50157530.pdf

Check out WORLDPULSE.ORG if you aren't already working with them! They are terrific!

LOVE that you posted this because we (SPRING) are looking at opportunities for girls and young women to learn, earn and save and invest without harm.

The goal of SPRING is to enable pioneering entrepreneurs to scale their products and services to reach this large untapped market (250 million adolescent girls living in poverty) and help girls to learn, earn and save and invest without harm. And time or labor saving is absolutely part of that picture. Thanks for the link to the OECD report... and yes it is so totally relevant to think are we talking urban, peri-urban, rural, which countries, which regions.

Dear Zoya,

How can a coalition of women business associations take part in your financial literacy training.

Hello Maria, How can our women in micro and small businesses in Nigeria participate in Goal programme ?

Hi Suzanne,

We've been developing a very low cost 'ColaLight' SLK (Study Lamp Kit) solar lamp specifically to power a low-cost tablet device for distance learning for girls in Malawi for the Educating Reena Project - www.educatingreena.org. The ColaLight SLK re-uses waste stream platic from Cola bottles to 3D print spare parts locally which are sold by female-led SHG's. Would be happy to discuss distribution in other SSA nations with support from Spring.

Regards

Ed Bell-King

Climate Connected Benefit Society.

www.climateconnected.coop

I agree with you Payal businesses should consider enabling education for girls and reduce child marriage and child abuse.

Hello Asyia,

We've been developing a very low cost 'ColaLight' SLK (Study Lamp Kit) solar lamp specifically to power a low-cost tablet device for distance learning for girls in Malawi for the Educating Reena Project - www.educatingreena.org. The ColaLight SLK re-uses waste stream platic from discarded cola bottles to create 3D print filament for local production of plastic spare parts which are then sold by female-led SHG's. CCBS would be happy to discuss distribution in other SSA nations with support Coca Cola post the Malawi pilot project.

Ed Bell-King

Director of Operation & Technology

Hello Payal,

We'd be very interested in talking to Standard Chartered about collaboration around a distance learning pilot project we are undertaking in south Malawi next year with support from students across ten London-based universities. Please see our Educating Reena website -www.educatingreena.org.

Ed Bell-King

Director of Operation & Technology

ARE YOU RUNNING THIS PROGRAM iN GHANA AS WELL? quantus1@yahoo.com

Great discussion here but in my Village, many young girls drop out of Primary school due to early pregnancies and all of them never go back to school, instead they are married off at early age and to extremely poor Men in the neighboring villages. How can these girls be empowered? I have never seen any program in my area that is concerned about these girls. If had a chance to visit my village, you will feel our community going down/deeper into the poverty hole.

thanks