How do we make our production and consumption habits more sustainable?

First and foremost, stop doing the wrong thing.

Policy makers are often linked to vested interest and very risk-averse - i.e. careful not to disturb the status quo. Which might even make sense when you're dealing with vulnerable constituencies. Still, there are enormous fossil fuel subsidies in both the developed and developing world. And the "new" never has a lobby, at least not in the beginning.

I guess renewable energy, for example, is now above the tipping point in Europe, and we have a real, strong lobby (not without its own problems). I wish we could say the same about kerosene subsidies in India, but maybe there's movement there that I am not aware of?

Maybe to point you to two studies...

First, we (me and Aline Krämer from Endeva) have summa written up some of policy discussions around supporting "green and inclusive businesses" for DCED at the Rio Summit last year. You can download the report, or read the nice summary on the WBCSD blog by Filippo Veglio.

Christian - another interesting role for donors, I think, is showcasing what you see as good practice. On that note, can you tell us more about the CHANGING Markets Award, that I understand you included at the International Business Forum?

Hi,

This is a very relevant topic, although the question has been discussed for yours, especially since the emergence of fair trade and other responsible/bio products. I believe education about labels, their meaning, their enforcement etc can help a lot. An educated consumer about labels and their implications is always better.

What we try to do at www.theimpactinvestor.net, is to educate consumers about social businesses, and social impact investing, available for them. we believe that this connection make them aware of the issues across the supply chain, from the initial funding itself. What is best than making the consumer himself a responsible investor?

Second, colleagues from Endeva have taken a more in-depth look on policies for "inclusive business" for the German Ministry of Technical Cooperation (BMZ). You can find it here for download, would be great to get your opinions! http://www.endeva.org/building/current_projects/policy_instruments_for_inclusive_business/

What is required from the government is a level playing field. Equality in opportunity and for that we think that government requires the most awareness rather than producers or consumers. If we are successful at that level, then producers and consumers will automatically gain. In our efforts we have been able to make some inroads with the regional government and they are already providing some support to the producers. It is just by diverting the existing funds from other sectors to these areas.

Yes, communication and linguistics can go a long way. As Harald Weltzer has put for fast food: "It's no sacrifice if I don't eat that crap".

That brings us to the end of our live session! Thank you everyone for such a great discussion. We'll leave the discussion open - so please feel free to continue to post your comments!

If you would like to read more about the issues discussed here, please read these blogs - published this week as part of a Green and Inclusive Business Special with the International Business Forum:

Its basically includes grocery products: meat, sugar, bread, dairy products, vegetables and fruits. Besides, they purchase clothing (locally produced and imported from China, India, and Turkey)

Yes, thanks for bringing up our Changing Markets Award. We have received over 140 applications and from those, we had to select 10 finalists who participated in the IBF. The winners included businesses which created solutions around waste management (Banka Bioloo and Ciudad Saludable) and technology solutions for recycling, building construction and paper production (TARA Machines).

Thank you for interesting discussion!

Policy makers should think on the reason they're in office: they are public servants. What has hampered a lot of changes in production processes is that politicians forget that public goes beyond the interests of corporations.

Indeed, integrating sustainability criteria in their public procurement is a good step, however radical measures are also needed. The latest example is the tax on sodas approved by the Mexican government that goes accompanied by an extensive campaign on the effects that sodas have in health (obesity, diabetes…) although the amount of the tax borders the ridicule (is like 5 cents of euro) the impact the campaign is having on the citizens is already showing a decrease in the sales of sodas.

Like this, there are many demonstration projects that aim to prompt a change in the consumers, in a way that they demand changes along the entire supply chain.

Donor organizations have the chance to reach out to different type of audiences and support their efforts, though sometimes they get lost in their own bureaucratic processes and very little is done to really measure the impact their donations are having.

Identifying success factors for scaling up the positive impacts of their projects is also something that can happen in partnership with local organizations that can support the work of donors and drive a change.

it's a nice approach to leverage some existing public resources and "divert" them to a better cause then they're currently spent on. also, as it levels the playing fields in a "double way" (i.e. improving the payoff of the sustainable practice while discouraging the unsustainable one). Good luck with your good work, both on the ground as well as in terms of advocacy!

Kiran, I'd like to join the kudos from Martin, your company looks amazing!

Building on what Zahid mentioned: Social media has proven that sometimes peer-to-peer reviews, ratings by users, are more efficient than all certifications a company could purchase and collect like badges. Customer satisfaction speaks for itself, of course your reputation as a sustainable brand can be strengthened by having the labels, yet is this what your consumers are looking for?

This is a great example of how to influence lifestyles and it would be great if you could share this nice promising practice through the Global Network on Sustainable Lifestyles (www.vision2050.net) as certainly many other people would like to learn from your experience and support you on this process.