Intrapreneurship Clinic: How can we make the business case for social innovation?

With regard to experimentation and learning: This is a rather broad question, and I've chosen to answer it quite literally, pertaining to individual behavior response, and pertaining specifically to those already interested in undertaking a specific project.

Trust is absolutely essential in order for experimentation to happen. Collaborators need to have trust amongst each other (as they are often going above and beyond for the greater good, and need to know that when push comes to shove, they've got each others' backs). And in turn, those change agents need to trust that the company they work for will listen and genuinely consider their ideas - even if they are not adopted. Otherwise the contribution and participation will just fall away.

To build trust, there is no substitute for face to face interaction. If possible, host a convening of key agents and stakeholders, and then level the playing field with a game that gets everyone laughing, and feeling a little bit off guard. Follow it up immediately with an honest, affirmation exercise, helping people to feel safe. Create activities that center around relationship building to start.

The primary outcome of those first convenings should be very honest, frank discussions of the challenges the project faces (without deteriorating into a moan fest - moderation is sometimes needed for this early stage), with a lens toward sweeping away these barriers that stand in the way.

More often than not, those barriers tend to be softened by strong relationship-building. That means listening very openly to those that hold the keys, try to uncover their primary objectives and needs, and work towards a symbiotic system by which you can all gain benefit from this project.

I also firmly believe in following a code of collaboration. Within the group, there should be a set expectation of what to expect from each other (i.e. using 'yes, and...' language, vowing to never criticize material without also coming with suggestions, etc.). That code has saved many well-meaning groups from being relegated to circular meeting hell.

There are also interesting models (I've worked and designed some) where active grant funding (unrestricted to specific costs) is used (with no financial return), specifically at tough stages of projects where they need to make the next step and demonstrate societal return. Metrics are focused on societal return & the use of funding to create greater societal change/accelerate programmes.

Grant funding that is then used within a fund to fund projects and any financial return is recycled back into the grant pot is another option.

GOODYEAR Latin America has launched a incubator program- led by the CEO Jaime Szul- identifying intrapreneurs and innovative programs. Since its launch 2 years ago they have identified 17,000 initiatives. The company has had a complete turnaround and what I heard was that it is due to finding the intrapreneurs/giving them the space/ and supporting their ideas. We need to learn more about this.

There are debates about how much 'space' is required for truly radical innovation. So, for example, Physic Ventures was set up by Unilever to ensure experimentation was truly arm's length from the 'host DNA' of Unilever. That is, the team could evaluate new ideas without the corporate biases - test and grow them with enough space and then introduce them to the company at a more mature stage. The difficulty is then in connecting the new idea to the host organization.

My sense is that you need both - space free from the day to day decision making to enable the experimentation to flourish, but enough connectedness to the corporate culture and priorities to ensure it sticks over the long term.

At Interface, we realized a few years ago, that we needed a VC perspective on some of our internal projects in order to surface some of the best innovation around each region. We earmarked a small (but growing) Innovation Pot. We then created a cross-functional, strategic committee, (our internal Venture Capitalists), whose job it was to vet internal projects against clear criteria, help guide them to eliminate the boulders standing in the way, and then make recommendations for funding.

We have also just recently launched a global digital platform, designed specifically to help teams get out of silos, and work out loud. This platform has really helped some changemakers take a great deal of ownership over the communication and building of assets for their projects, as well as creating a 'safe space' for teams to share early and share often.

Thank you, Rosario.

I'd be interested to here other's examples / thoughts too:

Q3: How can social intrapreneurs avoid being pigeonholed as 'CSR' - i.e. philanthropy or tangential to the business?

Great share. Thank you, Heather. One follow-up question on this. I have gotten feedback from managers that setting up such a system is costly in terms of time and financial resources. Do you have ways to measure how succesful it has been or to justify it? how long after it has been set-up does it start producing some results and the companies start seeing that is worth dedicating HR resources to this?

Thank you!

To borrow from Nick Hughes' experience - he carved out a space for M-PESA within different business divisions. Rather than house it in sustainability, he put it inside core marketing and operations functions. It helped build ownership for the idea to a wider audience.

Finding sponsors and champions from the core business is a must. As is connecting your work to core business priorities. Find people who can help you to translate societal needs / objectives into the language of the business.

I would offer another point - do your research. Bring more rigor to the table, so those people who want to poke holes in your argument will find very few.

One of the first benefits that we've seen is eliminating duplication of effort. This is definitely the case for global companies running multiple business units in every market.

For us, it took a small team about a year to get the 'VC' group up and running - so yes, a bit of capital needed up front by way of sweat equity and team investment. But almost immediately, we were seeing instances where teams were working to solve similar problems in different areas of the business.

By joining up these efforts, there were immediate surges of energy, and unexpected discoveries. We don't yet have sharable metrics, but by eliminating this intellectual redundancy in four different projects I think we've already made back our investment.

Great point, Maggie.

Who wants to follow a leader who hasn't done their homework?

That brings us to the end of this live session. Thanks for tuning in! And thanks to Maggie and the other panellists for sharing their insights. This discussion will stay open, so please do continue to post your comments!

Be sure to take a look at the Cubicle Warriors Toolkit: http://www.leagueofintrapreneurs.com/toolkits

Thanks, Zahid. And thanks everyone!

Good question -

I love Rosario's point on collaborating with CSR/philanthropy etc could be fundamental to kick starting (in particular) a project.

If you flip the question round and say - what am I trying to achieve (for the business/for society/for me personally), what do I need to get there, what is available within the organisation & what might I need from outside.. the relationship with your project to CSR/philanthropy would depend on the activity and the parameters of the CSR/philanthropy activities. If there is a strong alignment and you're taking a different angle that could have the potential of aligning these activities closer to business activity then support and financial and even alignment from them may not be so bad a thing. And may influence changes in the organisation's CSR/philanthropy.

The other way - if a distinction is a good idea - would be to very clear about what you are trying to achieve - how it fits into the business/financial return/& even aligns to any CSR/philanthropic societal returns/focus

Ok, final question: Q3: How can social intrapreneurs avoid being pigeonholed as 'CSR' - i.e. philanthropy or tangential to the business?

While I agree with Rosario, in that CSR has it's place in the world - it very rarely comes out of budget discussions without being labled a 'cost center'.

Miriam Turner, who couldn't be here today, has just circumnavigated the globe, talking about our latest project, Net Works. Essentially, as a result of collaboration with some of the best partners we could ask for, we managed to find a way to create an inclusive business model - bringing discarded waste fishing nets from the Phillippenes back into our supply chain, recycling them into beautiful carpet, and helping create an unconventional revenue stream for some of the poorest people in the world.

I know she's talking more about that in a discussion next month, please join - even if I didn't work for Interface, I would be jumping up and down for this project.

Basically, it boils down to this. Corporations are in the business of continuing to do business.

So get creative.

Find unusual partners to help you futurecast.

And always have at the top of mind, your company's key strategic goals.

If you can find a way to help your company achieve one ore more of their goals, while also accomplishing change in the world, people will quite literally come running to help you make it grow.

Thank you so much to Zahid, Maggie, Rosario and Mark - it's an honor being in the company of such awesome intrapreneurs!

Zahid, a good question- as CSR is often seen as simply a form of philanthropy, but also image management. And in that regard, it very much shapes consumer preferences over time, as well as creates new markets and helps with branding. It is fast becoming essential to the business and brand. Research is also showing that consumers want to see more than simply social purpose or aspirations- they want to see results. It' has to be presented as an opportunity to strengthen the business.