The Future of Work: How can business support an inclusive transition?

We’ve got a few announcements that are about to help flesh out that next phase of work. A few things that have been underway.

On the list of future skills, it’s a reminder of keeping our focus on those human qualities and ensuring the courses and training directly links to that development.

2 Likes

True. And that is also why, as big companies, we need to rethink our approach. New Collar jobs are ones that do not require 4 year degrees. We need to open ourselves up to the whole pool of talent, not just the narrow one we have previously relied upon

1 Like

There is a lot of self motivation - I remember when we launched an internal “challenge” to form teams and choose a project to deliver a financial product or services that would help meet one of 6 SDG challenges. I saw teams working until 10, 11pm at night on their ideas…incredible. Now we have very active engagement programmes for employees to get involved in helping, for example, social entrepreneurs. We also have programmes called Global Visionaries which helps social entrepreneurs to get access to our clients

2 Likes

really appreciated these comments & phrasing. incredibly important focus.

1 Like

It would be nice if we could shorten the timeframe to economic benefit (business case). Or maybe change the way business cases are made (by understanding systems better perhaps, or by looking at things across partnerships not just individually). But most likely I think it will come down to us all being leaders in our own contexts, knowing and choosing to do the right thing. Values, leadership, courage… the old truths!

1 Like

A2: We’ve gathered a set of short case studies from our member companies demonstrating business action towards responsibility (build foundations of fair and meaningful work with respect, transparency and trust), and transformation (create tools, strategies and business models to drive system transformation). Cutting across both of these areas is the creative implementation of new technologies to drive social good. See here for 17 case studies from WBCSD member companies

2 Likes

What would cause governments to institute UBI if not to address increasing unemployment or underemployment?

One additional thing, if anyone missed the report we worked on as part of Business Fights Poverty, it’s an excellent read on the role of education in sustainable development https://businessfightspoverty.org/articles/the-role-of-business-in-eduction-for-sustainable-development/

5 Likes

We are also thinking about how AI and automation is going to impact the retail sector, which for many people is their first formal job. While the number and types of jobs in front-line retail will inevitably change over the coming years, building digital literacy, a learning/growing mentality, customer service and problem-solving skills will serve people well as they navigate their career, where it’s at Walmart or somewhere else. Therefore, transportability is so vital.

2 Likes

Absolutely agree. some of the old methodologies are still there and removing the obstacles is one of the challenges to be leaner and quicker. This is why I like the intrapreneurial way of working…these employees are like gold…fighting through bureaucracy and breaking down barriers…it’s tough though. Resilience levels need to be high! But I do believe these employees are critical to future business success.

2 Likes

Agreed. We see entrepreneurs not only as the innovators who will help us find solutions to the business challenges of the future, but also as individuals who will help us to reach new markets and consumers sustainably. This is why we also run different programs across the world to identify and support young entrepreneurs – most of these programs are linked to our operations. For instance, we have a few micro-distribution programs around the world where we support entrepreneurs selling our foods and beverages through pushcarts and the like. We provide them with training, equipment and also broker partnerships to help them access financing. This is a real win-win especially in rural communities.

3 Likes

I prefer the term “No Collar” jobs. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Fact is the demand for human skills is not reducing - it would serve us all well if businesses, government and educational institutions invested disproportionately into building these human skills every step of the way. As someone said here, it’s back to basics - collaboration, empathy, people management, critical thinking, learning agility. Not new skills, just more important!

4 Likes

We are on the cusp of a new technological era – one that is radically transforming both business and public institutions; reshaping our personal and professional lives; at an exponential pace. However, we need more than just the right technology. We need the right people, with the right skills, in the right jobs

Not blue collar jobs. Not white collar jobs. But rather, New Collar jobs .

Jobs that are not only about credentials, but about capabilities.

Jobs that do not always require a traditional four-year college degree , but the right mix of in-demand technical skills to work with and benefit from the very latest technology – from cloud and AI to cybersecurity, blockchain, and quantum computing.

2 Likes

I think that if employers can give their employees - the intrapreneurs - the freedom and incentive (which is often just having the opportunity to do this) to start up these initiatives, then this is a very positive and attractive feature and value proposition.

4 Likes

And final question - though I realise some ideas have already been put forward:

Q3. Why and how should businesses collaborate on this topic to address the challenge of the Future of Work?

1 Like

Yes for example it is interesting how completely different people emerge as leaders in the online space (e.g. in computer gaming), freed from traditional expectations and stereotypes. Perhaps we are/can all move in that direction. New leaders will emerge for a new era.

1 Like

I couldn’t agree more. I think adaptability is crucial. Employers expect - and actually employees want - multi-task jobs…the ability to do different things, engaging things that benefit the firm as well as society is very attractive

2 Likes

A3: Systemic long term change doesn’t happen with just one company making a short term or one off intervention. It requires large scale collaboration and focus. If we take the IBM P-TECH school model as an example, that already involves 550 other industry partners across 120 schools on 4 continents.

3 Likes

We’ve embraced that ethos with Tomorrow’s Market Incubator, a project to help support intrapreneurs within Pearson to craft new solutions for new markets http://www.leagueofintrapreneurs.com/2018/08/02/tomorrow-markets-incubator/

3 Likes