The Future of Work: How can business support an inclusive transition?

There may be as many opinions on what should be the “Future of Work” as there are people. How do you enable those diverse opinions to converge so that it’s possible to reliably progress towards [quote=“Kitrhona, post:94, topic:1359”]a positive, shared vision[/quote]? Or do we simply exclude divergent opinions from the discussion?

I think there are very real threats to lower skilled workers, middle-income workers who face declining barriers to entry due to automation. Or they lack the adaptability to change their skills. This can lead to a decline in the standard of living. This then very quickly becomes a societal problem. I think cross sector collaboration is essential

2 Likes

I’m excited about how Pearson is working to partner with industries that are often hit hard during this shift (i.e. restaurants, hotel chains) to try and provide training for employees and the opportunity to earn degrees from regional universities or other credentials without incurring any debt. It’s a partnership with the employer and university to practically upskil workers without that risk. I hope we can expand this type of work. https://pearsonaccelerated.com/

3 Likes

I agree Giles. That’s where we in the corporate sector can step in to help with reskilling, but also respectfully helping to transition people for whom jobs are no longer available.

2 Likes

Great stuff Nathan. We’re very proud about our opportunity agenda. Training programs for entry-level associates, advanced retail skills, and making degrees more accessible and affordable, through our Guild program.

2 Likes

Personally, I think all opinions are valid, in particular the divergent ones. I think this is a new world that we are exploring and a new way of thinking is needed. Just don’t ask me what that new way might be!!

2 Likes

This is also worth a read : https://www.forbes.com/sites/zackfriedman/2018/08/06/ibms-hr-chief-shares-best-advice-on-the-future-of-work/#85fdce53dc41

1 Like

I think one of the answers likes in your word ‘diverse’. There is no single future of work. There are many, and it’s vital that organisations don’t force people into moulds. So: a new set of values for work, perhaps. Some principles. But then diversity of ways in which they can be realised - that benefits different businesses too. Some need old-style jobs & careers to thrive. As long as it is transparent, I think that’s fine.

However it is interesting to see the really ‘new deals’ emerging and becoming more common and better supported by employers especially. The last 20 years in the Global North has seen huge changes in flexibility of work. These flexibilities need to be underpinned by regulation, to protect those for whom flexibility tends towards exploitation.

2 Likes

Thanks for the example. It looks promising! How can the apprenticeship model provide opportunity for those underrepresented from these types of jobs?

Ultimately, young people need new and better pathways to contribute to business and society. Our school systems work for some and that’s great. But they don’t work for most young people right now, whether due to access or other barriers. Businesses can work together to support new pathways that work better to engage people in learning and skill development. We need more experimentation and willingness to take risks to develop the human talent we need in an age of intelligent machines.

2 Likes

Dear all, I must sign off for now. It’s been a pleasure to discuss with you all and thank you for some very valuable questions and perspectives. Thank you!

1 Like

I must as well. Thanks for letting me join you and hope to chat again soon.

1 Like

It has been a pleasure chatting with you all about the Future of Work, a topic I am passionate about. It’s extremely encouraging to see everyone paying attention to it - that’s half the battle won. There is no silver bullet or single answer but confident that collectively we can make change happen! Thank you!

3 Likes

That is what P-TECH aims to do, open the doors to those that have previously been shut out. More here: http://www.ptech.org/ We just launched it in the Philippines, and soon Thailand too. In New Zealand it will focus on Maori and Pacifika communities.

3 Likes

To everyone - we are now at the top of the hour and the end of the ‘live’ section of this online discussion.

The discussion will stay up and you can continue to comment after this time. Simply login (top right) and get adding your thoughts.

For now though, thank you for everyone’s thoughts, inputs and questions.

Kind regards, Katie and all at the Business Fights Poverty team.

3 Likes

Thanks all - very inspiring session! Thanks for the insights!

1 Like

Thank you very much Katie and colleagues. Fascinating discussion and valuable examples. Please keep up the good work, and the dialogue! Best wishes to all.

Thanks all! Been a great discussion.

Thanks to all for the insights.

Good question. We looked at every prediction, extrapolation and scenario analysis we could find and the variety was impressive. This is why we’ve gone for a vision of what work means for an individual – something that brings together divergent opinions at a level that few people would disagree with. But its obviously a work in progress…