What is the Role of Business in Tackling the Coronavirus?

I am here hoping to learn and contribute

Githinji

1 Like

In addressing COVID-19 responses in Kenya, Africa, and globally, collective action and partnerships across sectors will be critical. I believe, consistent with the SDGs, that good governance (anti-corruption) and addressing illicit trade will similarly be important especially related to medicines and vaccines. Too many fakes and counterfeit medicines across sub-saharan Africa and across the developed and deveveloping world that imperil efforts to address the health and safety of vulnerable communities. I also think that criminals and scammers are exploiting the current global health emergency and consumers’ fears and flooding the internet with numerous frauds and scams.

The houseless are totally vulnerable from a physical and mental health perspective. Violence and isolation as city centres are emptied. Many also have not heard of the virus

Nina, I have an example of Chinese cosmetic company in Wuhan changing business practices to online platforms and increasing sales by 200% - I will post that in the next section in about 10 minutes.

1 Like

Hi all hope I made it. Tiekie here form the Shared Value Africa Initiative. A pan Africa organisation that advocate for the private sector adoption of the Shared Value Business Management concept to create economic value and value for society

Correct - and the restaurant and service industry has been especially hit hard. Most of these employees have no healthcare. I’m starting to see that non-profits are getting hit next - most of their “corporate” sponsors on a local level are these local businesses that are no longer in operation.

3 Likes

A lot of the support is happening in countries that are now hit by the virus, mainly in Europe and the US at a lesser extent. Once this reaches the emerging markets (Africa, Latam), what will be the support packages that will be given, knowing that the majority of the work force lives day-in and day-out?

How can the experience from the “first wave” countries benefits the next ones?

2 Likes

This is a fair question. SMEs, about which we are just spoke, are often organised in business organisations. These organisations speak exactly for the smaller companies, whose voice alone is not heard. IOE, for instance, represents more than 50 million of these companies. However, clear case that there are many groups, which needs to better listen to too

2 Likes

Liz here from DFID. We are keen to explore how we might mobilise and work in partnership with the private sector to support communities and businesses that are vulnerable to Coronavirus impacts in low income countries. We would be keen to hear how you are already responding to Coronavirus as well as hear any suggestions you might have for DFID in this space.

3 Likes

Very much true Scott and this is what we should put our shoulders under together. Really great to see us getting coordinated around this call to action across stakeholders, industries, and markets. Well done and count on our support, especially in Kenya.

Any thoughts on shareholder primacy and how shareholders and markets can be leveraged at scale to minimize the negative long term impacts- particularly in supply chains, as Caroline has pointed out?

1 Like

At AB InBev China, ee have designed a Guideline for Return-to-Work so that the employees can arrange their return time properly per their current location and destination, taking COVID prevention measures and following the quarantine days strictly according to the requirements of the local governments to ensure their own safety and health.

David Laurel here and may I add that businesses have a social responsibility to their communities that are made up of their customers/consumers and end users

2 Likes

This must be true the entire continent. Certainly impact (a negative one) in other countries.

Sidchat-
We look forward to linking global, national, regional and community efforts.

Years ago, I was on a World Economic Forum Global Agenda Council where we recommended a Healthy Living Charter. We concluded: To truly create the necessary scale of Healthy Living change, any action will need to comprehensively address each specific influence. Only multiple stakeholders working together have the ability to execute actions of greater value and impact
Multistakeholder and cross-sector joint actions can combine a vast range of capabilities, perspectives and resources to achieve outcomes that are greater than the sum of their parts. Changing behaviour requires influencing the forces at play across different sectors and creating a market for health

All sectors and stakeholders must now address COVID-19. The responsibility for achieving real change needs to be collectively shared. Business Partners for Sustainable Development is working to catalyze opportunities

2 Likes

Indeed, in Kenya we have established a partnership on National Business Compact for CoVid19 response working closely with the Ministries of Health and ICT

Hi Caroline! It’s been too long. I love this point and the notion of a ‘wellbeing economy’. It will be interesting to see what new business models arise from this, and whether/how they work for the long term. Will this be the moment that ESG investors move from looking beyond how companies manage risks to how they actually innovate products and services for social benefit?

1 Like

Welcome Githinji, how we will reach the most vulnerable communities in Africa with soap and messages convincing them that this situation is real?

Good point David Laurel.

Back on the question of ‘others’ - the unpaid part of the economy is the unpaid care workforce. Those who do domestic work, care for sick, elderly and children. The impact on them is huge. They are not regarded as ‘business’ but they maintain the economy. It is an irony of this crisis that it is making us rethink (or truly see) what we mean by ‘key workers’. Governments and companies often don’t invest in unpaid care. It is time to rethink that.

6 Likes