Cultural Forces, Business and Peace

The law needs help here. :slight_smile:

Copyright and other doctrines are of limited help. And the U.S. doesn’t really recognize a “moral rights” legal requirement in this context, unlike our friends in Europe who do better on this front (in my view).

1 Like

Cindy’s comment brings to mind Durkheim’s work on “collective effervescence” that comes into play especially during concerts (or other major gatherings). I liked this “pop” take on that from over a year ago:

1 Like

There are examples of music having direct effects on legal regulations and public policy. For example, the fundraising concerts of Farm Aid resulted in John Mellencamp and Willie Nelson appearing before Congress to present testimony on what would become the Agricultural Credit Act of 1987.

Through their name recognition and their access to the public affected by social issues, artists have the potential to present a more compelling story to regulatory bodies.

1 Like

In Sweet Dreams, we argue that empowering women through music can have spillover effects . . . when women are nurtured and supported by one another, they can grow into leaders, which can in turn improve their legal rights. Rwanda is a great example of this–over half of their congress is made of women and women’s economic rights have been greatly improved as a result. I imagine similar correlations can be found with regard to how Title IX helped encourage women leaders in the US.

2 Likes

The “help” that Prof. Langvardt and I advocate is based in Kantian ethical theory (respect for the artist as a person) and resonates with the “moral rights” recognized in Continental legal regimes. We also talk about trust and its centrality vis-a-vis political/government figures, and how appropriation of music for political purposes without permission of the artist is suggestive of an untrustworthiness in one seeking elected office.

1 Like

It’s an important question. The good news is that more firms are treating cybersecurity not just as a cost of doing business, but a competitive advantage, and even a corporate social responsibility. Eli Lilly, for example, is including its efforts on data privacy and security within its sustainability report these days. A central reason for this change is social activism, such as the push to recognize the human right to privacy in the digital age. There’s even a playlist for this effort :slight_smile: https://www.cybersecurityandwar.com/song-playlist/.

2 Likes

I agree that there is an interesting research question here. If you look at this from a behavioral ethics standpoint, I think the takeaway is that music and other other cultural artifacts can have real impacts on decision making, including ethical decision making, which is many times overlooked. Therefore, it’s important to acknowledge and understand the decision making process and its inputs. How that process should be used to foster ethicality and, by extension, peace is a normative question subject to ethical principles and all the debate that goes along with it.

2 Likes

This may summarize our event quite nicely…the ways in which certain cultural forces, activities, and events fill a basic human need. One of the reasons I am pushing the concept of cultural foundations for peace is that, all too often, I think we lose a sense of the many different aspects of human life in exchange for quantitative (which itself is valuable) analysis. Bringing in these other factors is true to the human experience and has a place in our decision-making

3 Likes

We have just a few minutes to go and it is possible that we have exhausted all that we have to say today. But if anyone has any final comments, please feel free to post them now.

I’ll respond to the other comments above that reference cyber peace now, but I just wanted to thank you first, Tim, for putting this on, and for the opportunity to participate. It’s been a pleasure!

Thank you all. Great to be a part of this conversation and a part of the work we are all doing on this front.

I’ll add an overall thanks to Tim and the rest of the group for the opportunity to be part of this creative collaboration over the past few months!

To sound like a judge, seeing none, it is so ordered!!!

Let’s wrap this up for today then. Thank you all for participating in this event. There will be others, such as members of my class, who will be reading these posts later and commenting as well.

For those of you following this event, that started in May, we will not have an August conversation (since so many folks are traveling and on vacation then) but we will have one final month of conversation in September, with a live event on September 21, the UN World Day of Peace. At that point, we will invite anyone who has participated in our conversations today to return for a final conversation.

Until then, thanks again for participating!

Tim

2 Likes

Very much agreed. Thank you all!

Agree! Thanks Tim and everyone else for a great conversation.

Our thanks goes to the participants for sharing lots of great insights and perspectives. For further reading visit the Cultural Forces, Business and Peace series Challenge Page http://businessfightspoverty.org/articles/challenges/how-can-business-help-build-the-cultural-foundations-for-peace/

As for what more businesses do to promote cyber peace, there’s quite a bit really. On the practical side, firms should reference the Federal Trade Commission’s cybersecurity guide for business, along with using the National Institute for Standards and Technology (NIST) Cybersecurity Framework as a baseline. We’ve done a series of articles exploring how organizations are using, tailoring, and perceiving the NIST CSF, and how it’s contributing to a standard of cybersecurity care in the US, and around the world. Here are some examples:

• Toward a Global Standard of Cybersecurity Care?: Exploring the Implications of the 2014 Cybersecurity Framework on Shaping Reasonable National and International Cybersecurity Practices, 50 TEXAS INTERNATIONAL LAW JOURNAL 287 (2015) (with Andrew Proia, Amanda Craig, & Brenton Martell) (invited symposium article).
• Bottoms Up: A Comparison of “Voluntary” Cybersecurity Frameworks, 16 UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA DAVIS BUSINESS LAW JOURNAL 217 (2016) (with Scott Russell & Jeffrey Haut).

For a deeper dive, you might check out:

• How Businesses Can Promote Cyber Peace, 36 UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA JOURNAL OF INTERNATIONAL LAW 353 (2015) (with Timothy Fort and Jamie Prenkert).
• Businesses and Cyber Peace: We Need You!, 59 BUSINESS HORIZONS 539 (2016) (with Scott Russell) (invited article for special issue on business and peace).
• Proactive Cybersecurity: A Comparative Industry and Regulatory Analysis, 18 AMERICAN BUSINESS LAW JOURNAL 721 (2015) (with Amanda Craig and Janine Hiller).

In particular, more firms are treating cybersecurity not just as a cost of doing business, but a competitive advantage, and even a corporate social responsibility. For more on this angle, you can look at:

• On Climate Change and Cyber Attacks: Leveraging Polycentric Governance to Mitigate Global Collective Action Problems, 18 VANDERBILT JOURNAL OF ENTERTAINMENT AND TECHNOLOGY LAW 653 (2016).
• Sustainable Cybersecurity: Applying Lessons from the Green Movement to Managing Cyber Attacks, 2016 UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS LAW REVIEW 1995 (with Timothy Fort & Danuvasin Charoen).

Finally, here are some more digestible op-ed versions of the above work:

• Facebook’s Social Responsibility Should Include Privacy Protection, CONVERSATION (Apr. 12, 2018), https://theconversation.com/facebooks-social-responsibility-should-include-privacy-protection-94549 (picked up by The Wire, International Business Times, and the San Francisco Chronicle).
• ‘NotPetya’ Ransomware Attack Shows Corporate Social Responsibility Should Include Cybersecurity, THE CONVERSATION (June 27, 2017), https://theconversation.com/notpetya-ransomware-attack-shows-corporate-social-responsibility-should-include-cybersecurity-79810 (republished in by Front Page News: Cyber Edition http://www.advisen.com/tools/fpnproc/news_detail3.php?list_id=35&email=chemenway@advisen.com&tpl=news_detail3.tpl&dp=P&ad_scale=1&rid=287551258&adp=P&hkg=QbL990WnB7).
• The Three ‘B’s’ of Cybersecurity for Small Businesses, THE CONVERSATION (Apr. 17, 2017), https://theconversation.com/the-three-bs-of-cybersecurity-for-small-businesses-76259.
• How Companies Can Stay Ahead of the Cybersecurity Curve, THE CONVERSATION (Mar. 20, 2017), https://theconversation.com/how-companies-can-stay-ahead-of-the-cybersecurity-curve-74414.
• Should Cybersecurity Be a Human Right?, THE CONVERSATION (Feb. 13, 2017), http://theconversation.com/should-cybersecurity-be-a-human-right-72342 (republished by the WORLD ECONOMIC FORUM as Going Digital: Should our Human Rights Apply Online as Well?).
• Sustainable Cybersecurity, HUFFINGTON POST (Apr. 2, 2015), http://www.huffingtonpost.com/scott-j-shackelford/sustainable-cybersecurity_b_6988050.html.

Thanks, everyone and thank you especially to Tim for putting this event and the conferences together.

Along those lines, I wonder (if ever needed) if the cultural artifact from a few weeks ago of the great video of Mexicans hoisting up a South Korean in celebration of South Korea defeating Germany in the World Cup and ensuring the Mexican National Team would advance in the World Cup, “bridge differences to bring people together” as @Timothy_L_Fort says, or create more social harmony: Ecstatic Mexico fans hoist up Korean fan after South Korea win.

@thaugh mentions music triggering emotions and affecting decision making. Certainly sports and fandom can do the same. Perhaps the emotions of joy for the Mexicans towards the South Korean, triggers peaceful, collaborative, and communicative relations in the future in business, politics, and person-to-person between the countries and people of the countries.

I’m disappointed to say that my job won’t allow me to take part in the live discussion, but i do have a couple thoughts. It’s not hard to imagine that sports and music can give give rise to peace. If you take away the personal differences and give a group of people 1 common item, or 1 goal the focus on it’s believable that a group of people that would otherwise be “at each others throats” could get along. I played football from age 9 to 29, and I can’t tell you the number of guys that I played with that I had absolutely nothing in common with, and would probably dislike off the fields. However once we were on that field we were a family. I struggle with the music aspect, but that’s because I am a “beats” music listener, and I tend to pay less attention to the words.