Design Expo 2014: Online Discussion - ICT and Social Impact

Very true Doug

We have encountered this problem, there little bridging between innovations such as solar power and those that really need it and where to get it

On the topic of smartphones, even while waiting for cost to come down for mass consumption, there are many applications that can leverage the relatively large computing power for a smaller group - the community health workers - to help them do their job much more efficiently.

Hi all -

I am the principal of Moonshot Global (www.moonshotglobal.com), a consultancy that helps public and private sector clients leverage ICT, innovation and partnerships in their work. I have worked in mobile-enabled health, education, and quite extensively also in feedback loops on government to business services. There indeed are so many efficiencies to be gained, possibilities to increase access to underserved groups, and increase accountability of government. But, I am wondering what the panel or anyone else online sees as possible solutions to the proliferation of competing systems?

My own view on this is that competition is good, and may encourage development of more best-in-class products. But, that donors funding projects should be mindful of replication of efforts and support open source solutions and help move ICT4D toward standards.

Requiring small payments from users of the systems will help introduce a market aspect to the services as well, and hopefully will encourage the proverbial cream to rise to the top.

Robert, can you clarify which services you're referring to?

There should be mobile apps for SMEs to enhance their knowledge base for enterprise capacity building like business model innovation, value chain management and product/service marketing updated information.

Thanks Paolo and Anna - yes the potential of smartphones is huge - do you know of any projects that are developing business models with smartphones for the BoP at the centre?

Basically we are designing a package where the system is housed and hosted by an extension service provider to make it commercial, farmers can pay a subscription to access critical data thru bulk messaging. Most of the revenue we think will come from the extension service provision.

If you are looking for a business model that can move to scale then one of the key is having an easy way for consumers to pay for the service. You must also make sure it is simple to use and market. This means that the incremental cost of adding more customer is low.

Geography, infrastructure and language can also be barriers that need overcoming.

I think you can see more of the local start ups in LatAm, Africa and Asia targeting SMEs through smartphone and feature phones in order to improve CRM, supply chain,..

Hi Mrinmoy - I totally agree this is a key and often neglected area as it's more "sexy" to focus on individuals as opposed to SMEs. Helping SMEs order from their suppliers, track their inventory, and reconcile their cash, and manage their businesses is important to drive growth and employment creation.

Thanks Ann I replied without further details I assumed Robert was talking about the services I refered to in my earlier post

Courtney, great point, and one that I think a lot of folks are think

I did not have any specifically in mind. On the energy panel on Monday there was quite a discussion about PAYG for solar. I was wondering how you structure a tariff, and from your question, is it related to the service being provided--e.g. money transfer vs health, say .

Great conversation! Time for the third question:

Q3: Looking ahead, what are some of big opportunties for large scale impact through ICT?

Agree wholeheartedly. And typically, for the private sector to be involved meaningfully on a sustainable basis (apart from pure CSR initiatives) they would look for some sort of payment (however small) as a proxy for value being provided by a consumer which can potentially evolve in future to something viable.

Hi Crispim

Yes this sounds very interesting.

Esoko is also working in Mozambique with the Agriculture ministry to facilitate collection of market prices which can be sent directly to farmers.

We should talk offline about how we might be able to work together?

First, at least in some areas, we need more evaluation of measurable impacts.

Hi Courtney, I agree with you about markets enabling the cream to rise to the top. I much prefer to see customers choose the products and service that work best for them rather than have it decided for them.

On the topic of standards, which particular types of systems are you referring to? My intuition is that global tech standards can apply well to ICT4D where they are content-agnostic, but the end implementation may require localization.

Over at Social Impact Lab, we are starting to think about the same questions with respect to local governments and social service agencies...how operations, supplies, processes, and constituents can be considered more carefully using mobile systems.

I should mention we at Zoona specifically do this in Zambia for distributors and retailers that sell coke and beer from SABMiller. We also work with mobile money agents to provide these types of services to facilitate money transfers.