Intrapreneurship Clinic: How can we build the personal resilience of intrapreneurs?

Resilience to me, is an innate ability/choice to go through/transform (physically, mentally or emotionally) based on the data/signals you are receiving, perceiving and assimilating without being a victim/judgement. I also like the concept introduced to me lately by the visionary Taleb in his book "Anti Fragile" (a must read for any intrapreneur) about going "Beyond Resilience" which seems aligned with my definition above, i.e. strong (more inner than outer), yet flexible and allowing transformation to happen.

Ah, that's so true. I remember when of my biggest personal failures in an intrapreneurial project was when the project was far more successful than we anticipated. We had been so focused on how to prevent failure that we didn't prepare for success. And then when it came, there were problems...akin to when neighborhood boy bands make it big and then fall apart.

That's a great analogy! I had never thought of it that way, but it makes so much sense.

I love this! I had a class on Tai Chi once and was amazed at experiencing the "flow" and nce that happened the joy of being with the partner was immense! Imagine finding that "flow" and the "partner" that allows flow in corporate life! an intrapreneur's dream?

Because I work on cultivating it everyday, I've finally managed to arrive on a career path that has a straight road - and not an epic number of zigzags!

But thanks to my zigzag experience, I now have the privilege to be involved with the League of Intrapreneurs and all of the inspiring intrapreneurs in our network. Plus I really understand where my clients - social intrapreneurs and entrepreneurs, and other forward thinking innovators - are coming from when I work with them 1-1 as their coach.

Thats a really important point - about flexibility and transforming both yourself, your ideas & seeing transformation in others around you. Giving space and time for it

Profound insight. LOI's toolkit for resilience really emphasizes those inner dimensions a lot, and that seems to be quite in line with your definition.

Very very true. Great that you brought up that point Vik. We need to focus on our wins. They are what will keep us in an empowered frame of mind, and we can rely on this when we do get a little knocked around!

is retaining the same structure important what if the transformed structure is even more beautiful (to you as well)?

Has this changed in anyway the way you anticipate failure or success with new projects you work on?

absolutely as you are just living in the moment, without judgement and allowing things to happen (without off course being victimized!)

I agree! It's almost like if being present was the necessary state of mind to bounce back from a failure, or being able to move forward after a trigger. I've also found it useful to always link back to the big picture to be able to react to failure or success: exploring a new way, leveraging an opportunity...

Its a pleasure to meet you. I think Gifford Pinchot and your father's work was very much ahead of its time. Intrapreneurship - particularly in the incarnation of Social Intrapreneurship - is something that is emerging in the zeitgeist I feel. I think it resonates with a generation who’ve seen the rise of Twitter, Facebook and countless Kickstarter start-ups and are drawn to their entrepreneurial energy; but who also live in a world of big business and for whom a corporate career is a natural step. And a generation whose ambition is satisfied by the corporate world but who also seek some meaning & purpose - not just success but also significance.

Anyone else had the experience of flow?

I've also had it while jive dancing, and I've just started doing Tai Chi and Gi Gong.

There is also a book I can suggest that delves into this topic: Timothy Gallwey's The Inner Game of Tennis.

S

Funny you mention zigzags because I recently read about Nancy Duarte's work where she looked at the most powerful persuasive calls to action and how they take a zigzag shape between light and dark--between pointing out what is and what could be and swinging back and forth between the two until you end at the point of bliss "what the world will look like if your dream comes true." I'm not doing the concept justice here, but that's what your comment made me think of.

Definitely. You need to be partnering with people around you to make the dance work :) I think that's the second tool of the League of Intrapreneurs' toolkit ;)

Thank you for sharing Chris. I'll definitely be taking a closer look at this.

And I find... often they are roadblocks we have created for ourselves based on how we experience events that take place.

Fascinating. Did your father have any clue that his work would begin to explode into consciousness 33 years later? I can't wait to read through the link you sent.