Intrapreneurship Clinic: Navigating the Politics of Your Corporate Ecosystem

And patience. When we started a conversation on a Smallholder Ventures our head of Syngenta Ventures was assumed when I spoke about patient capital and impact investing. And now he is very enthusiastic and taking on the charge to run it himself and we are close to our first investment.

Excellent discussion! Let's move now to our third question:

Q3. How authentic and 'human' do you feel you can be inside a company?

Great advice Gib. We also recommend in the toolkit to spend some time looking in the mirror. How will you come across to potential stakeholders? What assumptions are you bringing into the room that might affect your body language? How will you be perceived by your potential stakeholders? How can you create a deeper sense of empathy with others?

Amused not assumed...!

I feel very human..... but my colleagues and team might beg to differ !

I don't think I will ever truly lose the 'NGO girl' title! But I can be very authentic and human. You sound like a broken record often but you need that consistency. And you need to have a thick skin!

Perhaps I can offer a sub-question--- are there limits to trust inside an organization? Do you feel that sometimes you have to be a bit of a chameleon?

Actually, I find that the most synergy exists when I and others are being human. I don't like games people seem to play sometimes, and much rather move on with the real. And, personally am much more likely to be productive when I and others are being human. (Ofcourse we might have to explore just what human is.)

Hmmm... I don't think so. May be I should learn to be. I have found that being clear on what you stand for and being upfront and clear on what at every discussion and forum is important. Thats what builds trust.

We interviewed MIriam Turner an intrapreneur at Interface who is a big advocate for human connections in business. She said that 'If you don't have the personal connection, and the meaning of what you're trying to achieve together, the rest is just veneer.' It simply makes it harder to get things done (and less fun!) if you haven't established human connections and a shared purpose.

Fair enough Barbara….on a more serious note, I do think that authenticity is very important fort he aspiring intraprapreneur…. being human if you will... Passion is both very difficult to fake……but also very difficult to contain or hide. Nor should you. I think within reason you have to be yourself and be yourself every single day

I agree - authenticity is paramount.

sure , of course there are Maggie...... most organizations will have some level of internal politics..... there will be people you trust and then people you dont. Beware the "smiling assassin"..... outwardly supportive but who can kill your idea behind the scenes without leaving any finger prints!

It's so true, Gib. We've found successful intrapreneurs are so in large part because of the authenticity they bring to the office. It's so refreshing, infectious and builds trust!

Some fights are not worth fighting. And publically stating that you are not fighting them is sometime worth doing - if for no other reason that mental satisfaction and distancing yourself from things that you think will go wrong (like someone implementing a versio of your idea which you know wont work).

Ha ha. Well, maybe those stories we can share over a glass of wine! But, it's good to hear that you've both found success being human and authentic inside massive institutions. It does sound like, however, that you do actively think about how you come across to others. So, while being authentic - also being very aware of how you engage people and how you build their trust is obviously important.

Perhaps to sum up: authenticity + conviction + active communication => helps build trust.

Thank you for sharing!

So interesting. Pick your battles. And don't be seen to be aligned with crap projects. Got it.

Great to have your perspectives Graham, given you worked in BP during a particularly fertile time for social intrapreneurship under Lord Browne's leadership..... controversial question, but do you feel that budding social intrapreneurs would have an easier or harder time today than in your day?

Oh, I have stamped my feet and also thrown tantrums (to the few people who will put up with it - including my bosses, which is great!). The rest over wine :-)

I'm also still chuckling at your title 'NGO Girl'. Do you have a cape? Just kidding. But, curious - and perhaps for a later date - if you found that label helpful or a distraction?