As someone that lived through 20 years of civil wars in Idi Amin’s Uganda etc, I can say that my experience of both poverty and abscence of peace is hard earned.
Business needs certainly conditions or the right envrionment to thrive. One those conditions as I seem them are effective institutions and these in turn thrive on consensus.
The situation in Uganda for instance roughly from 1975 to 1985 was that there were no effective instituions to speak of and as such the infrastructure failed as well as the economy. Typically regardeless how much money you had it was near impossible to set up and or run a viable or sustainable business, some days there was simply nothing available to buy in the shops nor people to transact business with.
The buildings that housed shops and other institutions in the capial city got burnt out during one of the civil wars and people got rounded up and taken away for no apparent reason other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
First forward to the current day Uganda and at this point I would urge you to get hold of a copy of this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Geldof-Africa-DVD-NTSC-Bob/dp/B000B9PW8K by way of illustrating my point. You would indeed be forgiven for thinking that you were in two different countries if you compared the north and the south.
The South is stable and has been since 1986, and to date there are instituions in place that oversee enterprises and this has enabled investors to etc. therefore from my personal experience I would argue that economic development would be near impossible without peace in any given country. A peaceful environment from a political point of view provides for confidence in would be investors as well as building on local enterprise.
The Uganda that I grew up in was far from this and as such we tended to live in the present moment as we had no confidence that we would still be alive that afternoon let alone the following day. It is this confidence that is a building block for sustainability, in my opnion.
Going back to the central question :How can business contribute to sutainable peace? I would have to draw from my personal experience again and say Yes,
But to a certain extent and this would rely/be based on the perception, specifically perceived inequality. If I can just take you back to Idi Amin’s Uganda. There was a perception that the Ugandan Asians had monopolised Business and enterprise generally that by getting rid of them the Africans could then have a chance at running successful businesses/enterprises.
On my recent visit to Uganda (septmber 2008) this perception was still alive in some quarters, although I am unclear as to how wide spread it is. However this may go some to illustrating my point please http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/6548107.stm.
The manner in which businesses/corporations conduct themselves may feed this type of perception leading to unrest, riots etc, and from that point of view Businesses can contribute to peace by ensuring that their practices are equitable, inclusive and transprarent.
I hope that makes sense.