Haiti - The future

At this time, how can the business community make it possible for Haitians to look forward to a better brighter future?

I think we have all been moved by the shocking images from Haiti over the last week. Just as striking has been the resilience and determination of the Haitian people. Nyakio has started an important discussion here about what business can do - both immediately to help save lives, but also over the near future to help rebuild livelihoods and futures.

For those interested, the UN has posted some information here about how business can help.

Global Hand has put up a REACT page for businesses seeking to engage with the disaster at: http://www.globalhand.org/information/disasters/react-haiti-earthquake

I hope this of help too.

Here is a good roundup, by the World Bank’s Private Sector Development blog, of good discussions happening right now on Haiti: http://snipurl.com/u48kw

hi,

I feel sorry for our fellow in Haiti. I’m devasted. I hope there is way for me to help. I can volunteer my strenth and skill if given the opportunities

The private sector of Somalia is the one holding back the country’s economy. I think the Haitians future lies with the private sector development

hello,
business is the power of every reconstruction.
I think all international organisation must encourage people(business person), to moov or create business in Haïti.
Haïti need our help, so we must be ready to serve this country.

IThis is a good and timely question Nyakio,

In a disaster like this, there is something any sector - and any individual - can do. By itself, it may seem incremental and lost in the magnitude of the situation. It might not even get credit. But in the past, businesses have made contributions in times like these.

First, businesses can act philanthropically to help deliver materials; that’s particularly true if the business is in the business of selling items in need. Items like food, water, and building materials for instance; also telecommunications capabilities. Companies also often have logistical delivery capabilities that can help get materials into the affected areas.

Second, when the time comes to rebuild, businesses can take great care to avoid taking advantage of a bad situation. There are instances in the aftermath of hurricanes where some companies gouged suffering populations. The demand for building materials might provide a market incentive to raise prices. But other companies have refused to do this and to act instead with some solidarity for the affected and not raised, even discounted prices. Those same companies reported longer term profitability because suffering people remembered the difference between those two approaches.

Third, as with any poverty-stricken area, through natural disaster or otherwise, hope springs from a future where people are employed and can provide for their families. That’s not simply because of being able to obtain material goods, but there is pride and dignity in being able to care for one’s family. Businesses have choices of where they locate their businesses. There are risks, to be sure, but businesses can make Haiti a place of their doing business too. And, in doing so, avoiding corruption is critical to creating a sustainable, peaceful economic and social environment.

Timothy Fort
Executive Director, The Institute for Corporate Responsibility
Lindner-Gambal Professor of Business Ethics
George Washington University

Firstly, we wish to extend once again our sincere condolences to the people and the government of Haiti following the tragic death and massive destruction caused by the earthquake of 12 January 2010.

“The country of about 9 million people, most of them desperately poor, has struggled with political instability and has no real construction standards. In November 2008, following the collapse of a school in Petionville, the mayor of Port-au-Prince estimated about 60 percent of the buildings were shoddily built and unsafe in normal circumstances.”

We avail ourselves and our construction technology to assist Haiti and her people in the reconstruction process that will follow. moladi reinforced walls and stub wall configuration is designed to with stand earthquakes and minimize the damage created by the impact. With the moladi process of formwork construction we are able to utilize the rubble from the collapsed buildings to create new structures.

For more info as to how - visit www.moladi.net

For attorneys:

I decided to start an initiative to get lawyers more involved in the relief effort. As such, Prese Prese! (hurry hurry! in Haitian Creole) is encouraging lawyers to donate money as well as pro bono or low cost legal services to Haitians that need assistance to adjust their immigration status (Temporary Protected Status applications and applications for employment authorization) and other related legal matters. Please check out: http://preseprese.org (Prese Prese! is also on Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook) and spread the word.

The crisis has three stages: Rescue, Relief and Rebuilding. Rescue and relief are being used to mobilize resources and a large proportion of these resources will be wasted for both good and bad reasons. Rescue lasts a few days and it is reasonable that there is little accounting and accountability during this phase when time is of the essence and immediate lives are at risk. Relief last longer … the resources are more “economic” and easy to divert for personal gain. Accounting and accountability can go a long way to minimize this problem … but it needs to be serious and embraced by the leadership of the key organizations involved. This rarely happens, in part because accounting is a bit of a pain, and nobody wants to have a system where people may be held accountable. But we must have a system where there is accounting and accountability, otherwise a lot of resources will do rather little … the norm too often! Tr-Ac-Net … Transparency and Accountability Network … is seeking to deploy Community Analytics (CA) as a way to have adequate accounting and accountability regarding the Haiti emergency.
Peter Burgess

It has been very sad to watch, with more and more fatalities everyday. There are ways to help, as you can see from the discussion, but for individual volunteer opportunities, here is a link that you can look at.
http://www.petergreenberg.com/2010/01/13/how-to-help-haiti-volunteer-opportunities-and-global-relief-efforts/

The first amount for rebuilding is 10.000 € in five years, all this money is needed to help individuals to start economical activities in the construction sector. If anybody looks after the BoP interest this money will go to foreign companies.
Our proposel is based on Inclusive business Schemes, send Machinery and equipment, we are adapting a previous plan to act adapted to the disaster.

We need help to arise the project
422-Machinerypark.doc (33.5 KB)

Yesterday’s Times Online carried an interesting post asking whether cruise ships should be docking in Haiti following the devastating events recently. It goes to show that while private sector involvement may be desirable, it is bound to be controversial.

In the short-term, it’s hard to say what business can do beyond supporting the humanitarian response in whatever way possible. Oxfam GB is highlighting the critical role that British business can play in galvanising the support of its staff, customers and networks so that the resources and funds are in place to ensure the people of Haiti can recover from this devastating situation. Looking into the future, it will be also important that companies remain committed to Haiti’s long term development by continuing to buy from farmers and other suppliers, and supporting the country’s broader development.
People can donate to Oxfam by calling 0300 200 1999, online at www.oxfam.org.uk and at their local Oxfam shops. Alternatively for corporate donations please call Anna Williamson on 01865 472126. Please also visit the DEC website www.DEC.org.uk/haiti-appeal.

How can the business community help Haitians build a better, brighter future?
On January 12, 2010, a 7.0 magnitude earthquake struck and destroyed about 16 miles of Port-au-Prince the capital of Haiti, may be about one hundred thousand people may have being killed, may be never the government will not be able to determine the exact number of dead due to lack of identifications system I can see that many important structures as already being destroyed including the Presidential palace, Parliament schools hospitals and many homes
I was at Port-au-Prince on Saturday 16 January 2010 from Caracas Venezuela I came back on Monday 18 January 2010 as an eyes witness the Haitians need help for a brighter future
How can the business community help? To what I saw their are thousand of humanitarians materials and equipments already in Haiti the international community most help the Haitians by educating them that those Foreigners and the militaries came to give them an urgently helping hands and those humanitarians aids are for them not for any other person
And the best help for the Haitians is to spread all the aids all over the country not only at the already destroyed capital I may suggest that all the population of Haiti be paid $25 dollars each months from this January 2010 to the end of January 2011 Because (95%) ninety five percent of the population have no opportunities of employments direct or indirect according to my observation this will give the international community the time to come forward for a long time plans to help the Country and the eradications of poverty total in Haiti
Regards
Stephen Olushola
Caracas Venezuela
Telephone: +58-414-90-20-365

What an important question for us as business people to ask ourselves.

In the short term, just basic relief aid is the most crucial. However, in the long term, business has a crucial role to play in redevelopment. In a way, this is an opportuntiy for haiti to have a fresh start, to lay the infrastructure for a better Haiti.

As a company providing translation and interpreting services, we avail ourselves to help with whatever we can to everyone here needing our services.

This is a must-read document from the International Business Leaders Forum (IBLF) for anyone interested in the role of business in building a better future for Haiti. Entitled “Best Intentions, Complex Realities”, it draws a set of lessons and insights from the response of the local and international business community to the Asian Tsunami on 26 December 2004.
421-BestIntentions.pdf (535 KB)

What the business community needs to do rightaway is to provide material support, provide for finances to enable the international humanitarian organisations to send counsellors as the Haiti victims are already traumatised.
Once they overgo all these, they will be able to start life afresh on a positive note and create a new infrustracture all together!!!

= Primer CrisisCamp Haití Bogotá =

El terremoto ocurrido en Haití el pasado 12 de enero es un desafío humanitario enorme, y tecnologías de la información y las comunicaciones se constituyen en una poderosa herramienta para los actores humanitarios que prestan la asistencia y planean la recuperación de las y los hermanos haitianos.
En el marco de las “CrisisCamps Haiti”, IMMap Colombia, el Instituto de Estudios Humanitarios - IEH, la Red Enredo, y la Oficina de las Naciones Unidas para la Coordinación de Asuntos Humanitarios - OCHA Colombia convocan al “Primer CrisisCamp Haití – Bogotá”
Los CrisisCamp son espacios donde voluntarios con diferentes habilidades colaboran, donando unas horas de su tiempo, a las iniciativas tecnológicas que apoyan las labores humanitarias. En torno al terremoto de Haití se han convocado diversas CrisCamp en Washington, Londres, Brooklyn, Portland y otras ciudades.
En esta oportunidad invitamos a desarrolladores de software con conocimientos en Python, PHP y MySQL a trabajar como voluntarios en dos proyectos de licencia libre: El sistema de georeferenciación de eventos nacido en Kenia llamado “Ushahidi” (“Testimonio” en lengua swahili); y el sistema de gestión de desastres Sahana. Aunque son muchas más las iniciativas en que pueden colaborar.

La agenda propuesta es la siguiente:

• Mañana
  • Presentación de los participantes
  • Situación Haití e iniciativas técnicas
  • Presentación proyectos a apoyar
  • Definición de tareas y roles
  • Desarrollo de funcionalidades
  • Almuerzo libre
    *Tarde
  • Desarrollo de funcionalidades(cont.)

El primer CrisisCamp Haití - Bogotá se realizará en las oficinas de OCHA Colombia en Bogotá el próximo sábado 23 de febrero de 9 am a 5 pm.

Importante: por razones logísticas es necesario realizar inscripción en http://crisiscampbogota.eventbrite.com/ y traer computador portátil.

Puede dar un vistazo general de los proyectos en los cuales se está trabajando actualmente en: http://wiki.crisiscommons.org/wiki/Main_Page o inscribirse en la página web http://haiti.crisiscommons.org/atrium/home, allí podrá encontrar los proyectos organizados por grupo de trabajo y la lista de tareas para cada uno. Existe además, otra lista general de tareas que puede consultar en el siguiente enlace: http://wiki.crisiscommons.org/wiki/Simple_Tasks_Anyone_Can_Do

Links:

Por favor divulgue esta información a sus contactos y ayúdenos a difundirla.

• Luis Hernando Aguilar Ramírez | Information Management Consultant, OCHA Colombia
  • Amaury Prieto | Web developer