Music and Business as Instruments of Peace

It’s very complex and could backfire any time… that’s why we need each other, to work in teams, and connect with all stakeholders when we organize activities…

In short – structures. I think business can help create sustainable structures when musicians put together event. Usually these are one-time, or short-lived. I can imagine a way in which business can build in sustainabillty.

Hi all. This is Karen Woody joining in.

true – that is the challenge.

Both fields could achieve more if they actively and consciously influence and contribute their strengths to advance efforts of peace building.

I think both music and business can create many occasions for mutually satisfying interpersonal interaction, and that much of the interaction in both cases is among people who were not previously acquainted with each other. For peace-building, I think the more occasions of respectful and appreciative interaction there is, the better.

I think music seems to have significant social effects due to its ability to shape emotions. It can create social unity and foster energy. Music has a way of capturing attention that prose alone cannot. I think it’s an excellent tool for social mobilization.

1 Like

Agree with Connie, since we need to work together on this, in addition, sustainability is beneficial. Many peacebuilding activities through music do not have enough funding to be long-term. Business could help with that.

For the music one, just a simple example, the National Song. National Song can reinforce the relationship for people in the country.

Music tells stories with its lyrics, melodies, and rhythms. It is a powerful medium for cross-cultural communication, which is important in business relationships.

Hello everybody! I am Aida Huseynova, faculty member at Jacobs School and consultant for the Silkroad Project.

The energy created by the musical event is invaluable – how can business practices help sustain that momentum? Tim – this one is for you.

One thing I’d like to suggest is language. We talked about this just a little bit earlier this summer. I think musical terms such as “Harmony” has a more powerful and collaborate sense than many of the metaphors used in business, which often draw from war itself or sometimes sports. Just think of how many news shows start off claiming that there will be “no holds barred.” I think music has some great terms for us to be thinking of to reorient our approaches

You’re right – linguistics matters – but so does underlying structure. So often, we, as musicians create something that will have a here and now impact but not more –

Love this idea Tim… what would harmonious, rhythmical, consonant business practices look like…?

1 Like

terrific phrase, Olivier!

1 Like

Even terms like “suspension” and “appoggiatura,” which indicate tension followed by resolution, might be helpful ways to think beyond the momentary configuration in the context of business.

1 Like

Also, vibrant and resonant business practices. And, the role of dissonance is important, too, as a source of new creative ideas.

1 Like

I agree with you, Tim. Another great term would by “Polyphony.” Many voices that are integrated into one unit.

1 Like

One thing that makes music so powerful is that it has an ability to suspend (or transcend?) time and place. There is a real sense of immortality to it. It’s like nostalgia in that way. And I think that characteristic makes people feel safe. How and whether business can tap into that emotion is a great question.

1 Like