Music and Business as Instruments of Peace

Join us for a discussion with panel of experts working at the frontier of music, business and peace.

Live Panel
Date: 21 Sept, 10 -11am ET (3 - 4pm UK)

Background

The recognition of the role of ambivalence in both music and business has recurred throughout the two years of our Music, Business, and Peace summits. Rather than negate this ambivalence, we feel that the major task before us is to identify how to develop the positive aspects of each in order to nudge them towards being instruments of peace. Included in these discussions have been the observations that music strongly touches on the emotions, which can be a source of potential positive contributions and that business, when ethically-oriented, can bring people together to collaborate and serve the needs of a variety of stakeholders to create cooperation.

In September, we return to these issues with panelists from a May, 2018 symposium. These panelists will build on the themes offered during this Summer, 2018 dialogue and offer new insights into the possibilities and obstacles for how music and business can positively contribute to peace. On September 21, these panelists will have a real time dialogue on this topic from 10:00-11:00 a.m. ET with the discussion board open for comments both before and after that real time event. During this discussion, we will also be probing the possibilities for the kinds of structures and organizations that might foster continued expansion of the themes of this event. While there are no papers, per se, to be posted for this month’s event, scrolling through the summer dialogue will provide a good deal of orientation and foundation for this month’s conversation.

Read all the articles and view previous discussions in the Music, Business and Peace series on the Challenge Page

Questions:

1. What is your view on the positive ways music and business can contribute to peace and to reinforce each other?
  1. What kind of collaborative organisation could be designed to include music and business that has a lasting impact on peace?

2. How could a global infrastructure that links various players in the eco-system – i.e. artists, cultural institutions, peace building organizations and practitioners, funders, university-based programmers, social entrepreneurs, etc. – strengthen work in this area?"

Panellists:

Tim Fort, Eveleigh Chair in Business Ethics at the Kelley School of Business at Indiana University
Todd Haugh, Assistant Professor of Business Law and Ethics
Arlen Langvardt, Graf Family Professorship at the Kelley School
Jamie Prenkert, Associate Vice Provost for faculty and academic affairs at IU Bloomington.
Karen Woody, Assistant Professor of Business Law and Ethics.
Alain Barker, Lecturer and Director of Music Entrepreneurship and Career Development at the Indiana University Jacobs School of Music.
Brenda Brenner, AssistantProfessor of Music (violin) at Indiana University from 1993 to 2006.
Carolyn Calloway-Thomas, Chair of Indiana University’s African American & African Diaspora Studies.
Cynthia Cohen, Director of the Program in Peacebuilding and the Arts at Brandeis University.
André de Quadros, Professor of Music and Chair of the Music Education Department at Boston University.
Dr. Gisela Flanigan, Executive Director for Sistema Global.
Constance Cook Glen, Senior Lecturer and Director of the Music in General Studies program at the Indiana University Jacobs School of Music.
Halina Goldberg, Professor of Musicology at the Jacobs School of Music and affiliate faculty of the Robert A. and Sandra S. Borns Jewish Studies Program and the Russian and East European Institute.
Aida Huseynova, Consultant for the Silk Road Project.
Marianne Kielian-Gilbert, Professor of Music at The Jacobs School of Music, Indiana University, Bloomington.
Nancy S. Love, Department of Government & Justice Studies.
Ruth Stone, Laura Boulton Professor Emerita of Folklore and Ethnomusicology; and Director, Ethnomusicology Institute at Indiana University.
Dr. Olivier Urbain, Director of the Min-On Music Research Institute (MOMRI)
Jeffrey Werbock, Performer, Film maker, and Lecturer

How to participate

To post a comment, you will need to sign in / sign up to the Business Fights Poverty Discussion Forum:

If you are already a member of the Business Fights Poverty online community, click “Log In” at the top right of the page and then enter your details. If you have not logged into our new community platform, you will have to reset your password here: New Password - Business Fights Poverty

If you are not already a member of the Business Fights Poverty online community, you will need to sign up here: http://businessfightspoverty.org/community/sign-up7 2. Once you are have joined the community, you can return to the discussion page, click “Log In” at the top right of the page and then enter your details.

Hi Everyone, getting ready for Sept. 21. Am I at the right place? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Hi Olivier, that’s great to hear! You’re in right place, we’re looking forward to the live segment of this discussion, happening on Sept 21, 10am to 11am ET.

1 Like

I’m glad to be joining this forum tomorrow morning.

2 Likes

Greetings Andre and everyone, just wanted to share the updated info, since April 2017:
Olivier Urbain, Director of the Min-On Music Research Institute (MOMRI)
http://institute.min-on.org/newsandtopics/ “Talk” to you very soon!

Trying to join this discussion.

1 Like

Thank you Olivier - we have updated your title.

1 Like

Checking in myself. We’ll start in about 30 minutes

2 Likes

Also checking in – looks like everything is set.

2 Likes

Ready to join the discussion.

1 Like

Hello everyone,
I am also ready to join in.
Nancy

1 Like

Good Morning Everyone! We will start in just a few minutes

1 Like

Welcome everyone! We’re looking forward to the conversation!

Happy International Day of Peace! Today, we begin the last of a four-month long discussion on how music and business can interact in order to foster peace. There is a literature and tradition for music to impact peace. More recently, the same has developed with respect to businesses as well. For the last two years, we have held conferences with business and music schools at Indiana University and, through this forum this summer, are reaching out to create a wider network of conversations. We’ll run for an hour today, but of course, the discussion can continue (and we hope that it will) beyond today.

I know that there will be some people joining a bit later as they get out of meetings, but perhaps we could start by introducing those who are signed on right now. To get us going, my name is Tim Fort. My focus is on business and peace and I teach at the Kelley School of Business

1 Like

Connie Cook Glen, Jacobs School of Music -I teach a course entitled “Music of War and PEace” and have focused on social justice through the arts for several years.

My name is Kathleen Higgins, and I’m a professor of philosophy at the University of Texas at Austin.

My name is Gisela Flanigan, executive director for Sistema Global.

My name is Nancy Love. My focus is on music, democracy, and peace. I teach at Appalachian State University.

I’m Olivier Urbain, director of the Min-On Music Research Institute. Focusing on the application of music and musicking in peacebuilding activities. Min-On means Music of the People in Japanese.

Thanks to all of you. I know there will be some others dropping in as well, but let’s go ahead and get started. We have three starter questions for us. We’ll have each one run for about 15-20 minutes. As these things tend to go, I am sure (and look forward to) tangents along the way as well.

Our first question is a simple, but important one: 1. What is your view on the positive ways music and business can contribute to peace and to reinforce each other?