Music, Business and Peace

That makes me think of the rage of possibilities beyond movement manipulation that could be tapped into when businesses determine the sound environments of their establishments.

1 Like

Perhaps this is also one of the challenges.

Sure, but I think it is a more multi-faceted idea here. Different audiences/different approaches.

Agreed. Just needing to find a time and place here as well

Getting back to the obstacles and challenges - huge generalization ahead, but Iā€™ll put it out there anyway: we tend to live in cultural bubbles, with the business world thinking in one way and the art world thinking in another. Perhaps thatā€™s one of our greatest obstacles to a more impactful set of actions by all?

1 Like

Yes ā€“ I think so ā€“ this is powerful ā€“ and could be positive.
ā€œthat could be tapped into when businesses determine the sound environments of their establishments.ā€

Agreed with Tim, ā€œpeaceā€ can have liberal connotations that would turn some people off. I want to ask, very simply, does ā€œpeacebuildingā€ have the same connotations? It seems to me to be more practical, hands-on, in a way, more realistic and grounded in daily life. Less of a turn off for conservatives?

1 Like

That really stood out to me, too. The ideal would be music that somehow offers something for everyone ā€“ what the Europeans find in their unofficial anthem, Beethovenā€™s setting of Schillerā€™s ā€œOde to Joy.ā€ But music that has this effect is challenging to find. Maybe the fact that Schiller is appealing to a basic human emotion is telling in this instance.

Did we get to the third question? I must have missed it!

ā€¢ What obstacles, or challenges, prevent the field from being as effective as it could be?

1. What obstacles, or challenges, prevent the field from being as effective as it could be?

Old habits die hard. We have been trained, and have seen, that the mainstream ways to solve conflicts and disagreements are through

• violence, the strongest wins.
  • win/lose strategies
  • with verbal arguments and agreements.

With music, when you organize a collective activity, there is no win or lose, and there is no verbal agruments. It is easier to find common ground,
based on a common beat, then with verbal arguments. People who disagree on issues can joyfully and harmoniously feel a sense of commonality while they participate in musical activities together, at least for a while.

For the old habits to give space to new habits, we need to prove and show that musicking, when created and added strategically, can enhance the effectiveness of conflict transformation. We need to educate ourselves, our leaders, decision-makers, educators, to acquire new habits based on the effectiveness of musicking in peacebuilding.

not sure if we are on third question or not, but itā€™s awfully fun

1 Like

The ā€œsettler colonialismā€ also showcases difference in musical approach ā€“ pretty important.

BFP_Team:
What obstacles, or challenges, prevent the field from being as effective as it could be?

I think Olivierā€™s idea of using ā€œpeacebuildingā€ is very promising as a way of making this agenda appeal to conservatives as well as liberals.

1 Like
  1. Oops, copying my reply again to the third question, in case it was buriedā€¦

Old habits die hard. We have been trained, and have seen, that the mainstream ways to solve conflicts and disagreements are through

• violence, the strongest wins.
  • win/lose strategies
  • with verbal arguments and agreements.

With music, when you organize a collective activity, there is no win or lose, and there is no verbal agruments. It is easier to find common ground,
based on a common beat, then with verbal arguments. People who disagree on issues can joyfully and harmoniously feel a sense of commonality while they participate in musical activities together, at least for a while.

For the old habits to give space to new habits, we need to prove and show that musicking, when created and added strategically, can enhance the effectiveness of conflict transformation. We need to educate ourselves, our leaders, decision-makers, educators, to acquire new habits based on the effectiveness of musicking in peacebuilding.

"For the old habits to give space to new habits, we need to prove and show that musicking, when created and added strategically, can enhance the effectiveness of conflict transformation. We need to educate ourselves, our leaders, decision-makers, educators, to acquire new habits based on the effectiveness of musicking in peacebuilding. ā€“ "

Certainly a positive idea ā€“ I think Iā€™m still interested in a more multi-faceted concept. Musicking is one very important part but it excludes some ways that humans experience music ā€“

Yes, I like the idea of peacebuilding. Intentionality is a good thing.

1 Like

I keep thinking about how we might use these concepts to provide a better solution to the National Anthem controversy at NFL games.

1 Like

I think the term ā€œmusickingā€ encompasses all the ways people experience music. ā€œJust listeningā€ is musicking. The term draws attention to the active character of any experience of music.

1 Like